11/28/2012

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

How I wish I could excise these memories and those paralyzing, gut-wrenching emotions they seem perpetually to evoke. How much more unhindered, unshackled, would our lives be without these festering wounds, these artifacts of times long past, that linger in the backdrop of our consciousness? Of course, of course, these spiritual eviscerators serve as cautionary reminders of what it means to be "doing it wrong". But, what of times when they are intent on intruding arrogantly into those private spaces where they have no place, when those knives have seemingly forgotten their context and begin to enact their gruesome massacre upon the undeserving? They are merciless and, tragically, inevitable. Like my own shadow do they follow me, stalk me, cruelly. And though I run with all my breath, all my might, I cannot escape that eventual end. Slowly bearing down, knowing fully that its approach is fully known, savouring even the apprehension that comes before the insidious act. As it takes hold of my mind, it sends its corrupting roots into the very core of my being where it binds tightly. And there I ... am ... and, flail as I may and wish as I may to extirpate this vile growth, I am powerless. And, so, it is here that I must be still, awaiting for the violence to end, until the noose is lifted so that I may breathe once again.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! 
The world forgetting, by the world forgot. 
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! 
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

No comments: